Friday 6 April 2007

Message from Marseille

Well, im here....and everyone speaks this funny language, I dont know what they are on about.

So basically I spent last week travelling around Holland visiting family. Ill skip quickly over this because my family history isnt too interesting to everyone right?

The flight was uneventful and I arrived at Schriphol at 550am craving a croquette . Unfortunately there are only bars open at 550am. So I quickly caught the train to Arhnem and Andre and Thea who quickly forfilled my croquette needs by taking me to McDonnalds for a McCroquette!!!. McDonnalds can do everything...and then the next night croquettes again...

Following this my trip went something like this
* Bike ride from Arnhem to Voorthuizen (50km mostly through bush and past millitary fireing ranges...had sore arse). Ate croquettes and petatjes met (chips with mayonaise).
* Voorthuizen with Vera. Where I used to live in Holland, spent the time visiting old haunts, went to Haderwijk (old walled city on the Ijsle Meer - the big lake in the middle of holland). Ate Paaling and Kibbling (roast eel and deepfried fish chunks).
* Went to Sneek with Fam. Arjan. Went out drinking with Arjan, a little unsteady on the way home.
* Went to Texel with fam. Ton (small island at top of Holland). Rode around on tandem bike (heaps of fun). Ate salted herring, friekandel (dutch sausage) and fried fish.
* Went back to Arnhem and caught plane out to Marseille from Eindhoven.


Croquettes, Petatjes Met, Paaling, Salted Herring, and my dutch clog slippers.

My first night in Marseille was a bit interesting. I got a bus into the city no problems. So there I am at the central train station which is pretty much in a ghetto, aware that im carying my passport, laptop, camera, ipod, a pile of euros and a heap of climbing gear and I look so much like a tourist its not funny. TARGET, I think is the term. However, there arnt any taxis, so I go walking. No taxis, more ghetto. So I loop back to the station and I go talk to a security guard and the man he is with says he is a taxi driver. Im dubeous, but dont have much other options I get into his normal car. After about 15 min of driving he is calling people asking for directions talking to other taxi drivers I loose my nerve, pay him and get out. I think he was legitimate but I also think it was pretty stupid really. Sigh. I finally found a real taxi and got to my hotel, got a room and had a well earned shower and a glass of scotch. (im sure my parents will love that part of the story)

I hadnt eaten since breakfast really so I went walking to look for food and see what was around. The area is still pretty ghetto and I had a guy following me on a bike asking me for something (cigarette?) and some other guy came and was asking something too and doing strange things (I think he was trying to pick my pocket). I finally went back to the hotel, to drink more scotch. I was feeling a bit scared at that point, realising I was totally alone in a city and not able to speak the language.

In the morning it was better. Everything was cleaner in the light of day. I have later found out I managed to find the 2 bad areas of town in one go (I ROCK!!!). Rue de Roma and Gare St Charles.

Since then I have been into the uni and met up with the research group and they are fantastic. So far they have taken me out to dinner, spent hours on the phone for me finding houses and went out to inspect each house I decided on lookint at. There is a big community with the group, they play soccer on thurdays and drink beer on Fridays, and everyone has lunch together. People have already volenteered to take me out climbing, play football, and even go mountain biking.

Everyone at uni speaks English to me (they want to practice) but the everyday person on the street doesnt speak any english. I was supprised how many people do speak english. My French is getting better, Im now opening bank accounts and looking for houses in French and its all going ok.

Ive walked around the city a little and its beutiful (except for Rue de Roma and Gare St Charles) and I'm now trying to find an appartment and its crazy. They dont joke when they say Provencales speak a different language and take things slowly. Tomorrow I go and inspect 3 appartments with various people from the group helping. Should be fun.

Edit I have found a appartment. I decided to move into an appartment with other people. Im living with 2 girls (a german and a french girl) in the middle of the city. The house is beutiful and very french (photos are on the web site below). Next week I go hiking in Verdon Gorge and then I begin work (exciting exciting).

Anyway, see Marseille Photos Here and Holland Photos Here


Me when I arrived, View from the hotel, Castellane Place

10 comments:

anti ob said...

Well y'know Nik, some of us find our natural level no matter where we go...

Dr Nik said...

Thanks Ob, so how IS it going in the middle of the US bible belt?

Miss Jimmy said...

Hey Dr Nik! Sounds like you are having adventures! I am not impressed by the skanky fish. I am impressed that you managed not to get mugged though. Glad you have found some good people. We missed you at festival, not an oily ball to be seen. And no one to call me wrong hole. Nick has formed a rather frightening attachment to your cloak. You may have to steal it back. Miss you loads, take care and TRY and stay out of trouble. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dr Nik said...

I was told that Oily balls were under control and Honeydeath was going ot make them...oh the disapointment.

I hope festival was pure and sin free as it should be.

anti ob said...

Thanks Ob, so how IS it going in the middle of the US bible belt?

Rapturously.

worldpeace and a speedboat said...

oooh I need a pair of those clog slippers.

not want. need.

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you're going well over there in la belle France!! Where did your new friends offer to take you climbing? I just got back half an hour ago from two days in the Wolgan after the Aussie Climbing Festival so I'm super-addicted again! :-) I'll write you an email when I'm not so tired that my brain is falling out my ear.

PS: love the pics of your room - those windows just scream "I'm in France"!!!

anti ob said...

Heya Doctor Nik - speaking of climbing...

Not sure why I never thought to mention this before, but my cousin is a fairly hard-core mountaineering guide, and last time I checked he was working out of Chamonix. He does a fair amount of skiing and rock-climbing too. Even if he isn't there anymore, I'll bet he'd have some recommendations on where to go, if you're ever heading that way... Give me a yell if youre interested and I'll see if I can't track down a current email address.

Never Jam said...

Yay for updates (like I can talk hehe...). Glad you are having a great time and the people you work with seem to be nice and sociable. They'll see you right! Now reality will kick in when work starts... Unfortunately holiday mode doesn't last forever :( At least you don't have to travel far to find cool places! Will you be getting a car or bike?
Take Care
J

MrSnerg said...

Hey actually there were oily balls at festival! The coffee shop had them at least on one night. I know I got my oily ball fix there.